Please see the Toi-Ohomai/Institute of Technology website for more information, including the full prospectus: https://www.boppoly.ac.nz/go/trades-academy
What Does Trades Academy Offer You?
The Trades Academy provides a variety of learning pathways for senior school students to allow them to transition easily from secondary to tertiary study:
- develop skills to apply learning from one context to another/li>
- enjoy practical, interesting and relevant opportunities for learning/li>
- develop transferable skills for work and life
All programmes are free and enable students to achieve credits towards NCEA Level 2 and a Vocational Pathway award.
How Does the Trades Academy Work?
As a senior student you’re enrolled at your secondary school and Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology at the same time.
You study an industry-related programme of study and attend Trades Academy 1 day per week during school terms.
Offerings for 2017
- Vocational Pathways based programmes that contain 20-30 sector-related unit standards
- Enables students to gain NCEA L2 with Vocational Pathway endorsement
- Your study can also give you unit standards towards NCEA L2
- One day per week at Trades Academy
- Disciplines offered (subject to min. numbers) (based in Tauranga unless otherwise noted)
– Beauty Therapy
– Building & Construction
– Exercise & Sport Coaching
– Café Services (note this is dependent on off-site facility being secured)
– Aquaculture & Boat Handling (Eastern Bay of Plenty)
– Logistics & Distribution (Eastern Bay of Plenty, Tokoroa)
– Early Childhood Services